What do you look like?
Colossians 3:12-14 English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness,humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
The other day while walking in the mall with my Kristal (my wife), I saw what appeared to be a sharp looking guy walking toward me. As we got closer, I found it was my own reflection in a huge mirror. For a moment it truly puzzled me as I thought it was my brother walking toward me. Somehow this full-length reflection me caused a deeper inward look ay myself.
For several days this incident kept coming to my mind. I began to wonder what would happen if our spiritual lives were shown in some special mirror for what they really are… all the inner thoughts, feelings and motives. Would the way we look to God be a shock to us or a blessing?
God has actually given us mirrors that reflect our inner selves… if we have the courage to look.
1. A church where the Spirit of God is welcomed and Christians are gathered is an excellent environment in which to come face to face with our self.
2. Constructive input from other trusted believers helps us see ourselves as we are.
3. Our prayer life can reveal so much about us. Do we talk to God about everything that is going on in our lives?
4. Experiencing God's presence alone during this 21 day fast can powerfully teach us about ourselves.
5. God's Word is a mirror of the Spirit within us. As you read, what do you look like?
What an amazing blessing God has in store for those willing to look at themselves as God sees them and to pattern their lives after Christ’s example. Not only will our outward appearance show change, but our words and actions will be His. His presence will be felt with us everywhere; His compassion will replace our criticism; and His love will radiate from our lives to others.
Blessings on your day!